Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mazile mazile is offline

Default start page numbering on the third page

I'm sorry ... I'm a complete dolt.

I don't need the table of contents, so I'm trying the second option.

When I copy and paste that "field construction" into the footer, all I get
on Print Preview is "{ IF { PAGE } 2 { = { PAGE } - 2 } }" instead of the
page number.

What am I leaving out? You have to spell this out carefully for me!!

Thanks,
Mazile

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

There are two ways to achieve this. If you want the page numbers to appear
correctly in a Table of Contents, have page 3 started by inserting a Next
Page Section Break at the end of the text on Page 2. Then in what is now
Section 2 of you document, insert a { Page } field where you want the page
number to appear and then use the Format Page Numbers dialalog to set the
numbering to Start at 1, rather than continue from previous Section.

If you do not need a Table of Contents, then you can dispense with the
Section Break and insert the following field construction where you want the
page number to appear:

{ IF { PAGE } 2 { = { PAGE } - 2 } }

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters and you use
Alt+F9 to toggle off their display.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"mazile" wrote in message
I am making a booklet. I do not want page numbers on the first two pages.
want to have 'page 1' start on the third page. I have tried everything I
can
think of and every suggestion I can find in the discussions.

Thanks for any help,
Mazile