Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.printingfonts
Character[_3_] Character[_3_] is offline

Default Can't replace DBCS with SBCS font - error

"Debi Ubernosky"

Been working to track down a problem with symbols not displaying
properly in an engineer's Word document, from one computer to another.

This paper was emailed to my boss from one of his former grad

students. The original version received on his old computer displays
the characters properly.

Then we got him a new computer, and SOME of the symbols are no longer
displaying properly.

Have check to see that all fonts are the same on both computers.
(They are)
Have checked Regional and Language Settings. (Same)
Have checked Tools / Options / Compatability / Font Substitutions -
trying to change the substition for the symbol font "SymbolMT" gives
the error "Can't replace DBCS with SBCS font"
I have Googled this phrase and find several discussions about it,
but no solution.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Debi

Someone else posted a similar problem (also with no solution) he

http://help.wugnet.com/office/DBCS-S...ct1017789.html

I suspect that the root of the problem lies in the differences between
the Microsoft supplied font, Symbol, and the Monotype version,
SymbolMT. They are NOT interchangeable.

I don't have SymbolMT, but a comparison of the Arial font supplied
with Vista and the ArialMT shows that the Vista version of Arial,
named Arial but with a Postscript name of ArialMT is more
comprehensive, and may be a double-byte font, whereas ArialMT, named
ArialMT in all of its names, is a simpler font and may have problems:
See http://forum.tufat.com/archive/index.php/t-15301.html

It's not clear from your question exactly what the environments are
that work/don't work. What are the operating systems on each, and
what are the exact fonts that are installed including the version
number - that can be seen by double-clicking on the fonts in question
in explorer or in control panel/fonts. If you change the explore view
to "details" you can also the file sizes, which may also be of some
help in determining a solution.

Also, what is the fontname that's being called for in the Word
document - visible on the toolbar when you highlight the text?

- Character