Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Blue Max Blue Max is offline

Default Inserting spacing between outline levels

How do we insert extra spacing between each level-1 outline elements, but
not between the subsections of any level-1 element. For example, see the
sample outline below (your reader display window may need to be widened to
prevent premature wrapping in the example below) :

1. LEVEL ONE - Item 1

2. LEVEL ONE - Item 2 (extra spacing from major element above)

3. LEVEL ONE - Item 3 (extra spacing from major element above, but
not subsection below)
a. Level two - Item 1 (no spacing above or below)
b. Level two - Item 2 (no spacing above or below)
c. Level two - Item 3 (no spacing above or below)
i. Level three - item 1 (no spacing above or below)
ii. Level three - item 2 (no spacing above, but spacing
below)

4 LEVEL ONE - Item 3 (extra spacing above between prior level
subsections and here)

In other words, major sections end up grouped together with their associated
subsections all being single spaced. However, extra space is added between
the major sections which are grouped together with their subsections. Our
dilemma is how to add space above the major level-1 paragraphs, but not
above the indented subsections (level-2 and above). If we add space above
the 'List Paragraph' style, then it affects every outline level, including
level one. How, do we customize the paragraph settings for individual
levels of an outline? Thank you for any help with this issue.