Posted to microsoft.public.word.setup.networking,microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default WORD "forgets" default network printer

I would expect more than a "tendency" to set Adobe PDF as the active (not
default) printer in Word, as that's the way Word works: whichever is the MRU
becomes the active printer for that Word session. But the problem at hand is
the one of having *no* printer set as the default or active printer in Word
(even though one *is* set as the Windows default).

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
If you print to the Adobe driver, as opposed to using the add-in tools to
create the PDF, there is a tendency to set Adobe PDF as the default
printer driver. You can overcome this by using a macro to 'print' the
document (see below) and restore the default printer, but it shouldn't
happen if you create pdfs from the add-in tools and the add-in provides
additional functionality so it is advisable to use it anyway.

Sub PrintAdobe()
Dim sPrinter As String
sPrinter = ActivePrinter
ActivePrinter = "Adobe PDF"
Application.PrintOut
ActivePrinter = sPrinter
End Sub

Fred Goodwin, CMA wrote:
On Apr 25, 9:16 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I see this occasionally. I don't get an error message loading Word,
but when I go to print, I'm told that no printer is selected. At one
point I think I figured out what was causing it, but I can't
remember whether it was a matter of starting Word before Windows was
quite through loading all the startup apps or that it happened after
creating a PDF (cause of many other issues) or what.

Yes, now that you mention it, I think it happens to me the next time I
load WORD after printing to PDF. I'll have to pay more attention next
time to see if there is a relationship. I'm using Adobe 8 Pro -- I
don't recall this being a problem with Adobe 7.