Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default How does Word decide what name to use when saving new documents? (2007)

I can't speak to Word 2007 specifically, but in all previous versions of
Word, the naming convention is as follows:

1. If there is content in the Title field of the document properties, this
will be offered as the file name. If there is content and you haven't
specifically put it there, it is coming from the template; if you don't want
this content, open the template for editing and delete the content of the
Title property.

2. If the Title is blank, Word will suggest the first text string in the
document, from the beginning to the first punctuation mark, line break, or
paragraph break. In letters this is often a date.

From your description, it would appear that your templates have been created
from documents that had Title content and so inherited it. If you don't want
this filename suggested all the time, open the template and delete the
Title.

"Three Lefts" wrote in message
I have several templates. When I create a new document, Word (2007)
gives it a temporary name, like Document3.

When I save the document for the first time, I get the Save As panel
and Word fills in some name in the File Name field.

How does Word (2007) decide what to use as default name?

It seems like every template has a different default. Some of them are
puzzling.

One always uses the name "Change.docx".

Another always uses "Lunch with Bob.docx".

Still another usesd "January 31.docx".

Is there some way that I can control what the default name is in some
template setting?

And what about the "Save in" field? Can I set a default location where
new files from a particular template will get saved.