Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default "save as" and "open" do not respond in MS Word

Copy the string out of the KB article and paste it in as the key name. Then
click away, right-click on the name, choose Modify, and change the value to
1.

"abqgrl" wrote in message
I had the same problem and wnet through the steps, bu in the resolution

step
5 says:

Right-click "Cached", point to New, click "DWORD Value", and then enter:
{A4DF5659-0801-4A60-9607-1C48695EFDA9}

{000214E6-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
0x401

do i type that long string of letters and numbers in there? might be

astupid
question, but enter can be the string or just the enter key.

See "Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install
security update MS06-015"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote:

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165 "Problems in Windows
Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security update
MS06-015".

wrote:

While trying to open or save documents in MS Word 2003 (and Excel),

the
dialog box doesn't respond, even after waiting for 6 to 7 mins.
Microsoft's troubleshooting site said that it could be due to a
persistent mapped drive, but I disconnected and reconnected the

drives
to no avail. I did all the basic diagnostics like running spyware,
defragmenting, restarting, but haven't yet re-installed Office 2003
because I'm waiting for a better solution. Please HELP!!!