Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Default Word 2007 context menu New MS Word Document template

Hi ?B?UmF5IEQ=?=,

I have purchased and installed Office 2007 Standard and have a problem with
opening new documents in Word.

I have customised normal.dotm and Word opens with my customised settings if
I Click on New...Blank Document, or if I just open Word to a blank page.

However, if I right click in a folder and use the context menu to open a new
Word document (New Microsoft Office Word Document) it opens with a blank page
set to Words built in defaults, and not my customised defaults.

What have I done wrong, and more importantly, how can I make the folder
contect menu open a new document with the defaults I have set in normal.dotm
or normal.dotx?

That's correct, Word doesn't use Normal.dotm when you go over the context menu
in Windows. That uses something entirely different. Fellow MVP Herb Tyson
tracked it down to this

"In:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\Word.Document.12\ShellNew

There is no FileName entry. If I add a string value here named FileName, and
fill in WINWORD12.DOCX (for example), this fixes Word's behavior when
creating a new Word 12 file in Windows Explorer."

Note that this file needs to be stored in the "ShellNew" folder for the user
(somewhere under documents and Settings/[user profile])

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)