Will

Default How to "tag" words in Word ? (Hidden tags for searching)

Our intention was to have the author highlight the index words in the text
and note the current page number.

Then, depending on the response of this email, preceed as appropriate.

I had read the article you referenced a few months ago and it made the
operation seem less than straight forward.

We will have a 100 to 300 terms in our index and after re-reading the
article you reference the manual method is looking more and more attractive.

It seems the "Mark-up" method is the one to consider but in "Indexing Made
Easy" ...

- What does "Levels of entry" mean?
- If we are indexing to key words why worry about "reversing the terms" ?
- In fact I don't think I really understand one single instruction in
Indexing Made Easy section 2
- Maybe it will become clear after "dinking" around with it for a few hours
but...

We could simply highlight the Indexed words and just before printing...
split the screen, search for the highlighted words, and type in the page
numbers in the bottom of the split screen.

Clearly, I must be missing something here.

But, thanks for the suggestion.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You could bookmark the word, but I'm curious about the reason you give.
Surely you don't intend to prepare the index by hand?! Word can do this
for
you. See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/Createindex.htm

so
all may benefit.

"Will" wrote in message
Is it possible to embed a hidden tag on a word or group of words in Word?

Such that we can search for the tagged word or phrase... even after we

edit
text and it moves around.

We wanted to do this for key words that appear in the index of a draft

copy.

We need to do the index now but know that text may move around later with
editing and want to be able to find the tagged word easily so that we can
correct the page numbers in the index when everything is done. (No we

can't
wait till it is all done to do the index on this project.)

We can not just search for the word as it may appear many times in the

text
and only one or two of those will likely show up in the index.

Maybe there is a better way to do this ??? If so please advise.

Thanks for any help.