Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cjc@isa

Default Header/Footer with Section Breaks

I am having a similar problem. I'm trying to set up a Word template that has
a header and footer on the first page, then no header and footer on
subsequent pages.

One user pasted a letter from an old document that contained a continuous
section break. When she did this the header and footer disappeared from the
first page (and no, it did not appear on the second page). If she copied the
first part of her letter and pasted it into the template, then inserted a new
section break, then copied and pasted the second half of her letter, it
worked fine. The problem only occured when she pasted the section break from
the other file. Does anyone know why this happened?

A lot of people in the organization want to be able to paste text from older
documents into the new templates and it just doesn't seem to work very well!
They are very frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

"A Bananna" wrote:

thanks for the response.

I probably haven't described myself quite properly. I'm trying to set the
document up for others to use it and am trying to make it as simple as
possible. I've found too many people get confused with Headers/Footers and
end up calling me to fix them! Certainly the solution(s) mentioned work
without a problem, however, what I want to do is set the document up in
advance so all users have to do is insert the Section Break without having to
do any further formatting.

I think I'll change the format of my document and information in a locked
form in the document instead of the header.

Thanks for the feedback though. I appreciate you taking the time.

Cheers
Anna

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can either disable "Different first page" for sections after the first,
or you can unlink the First Page Header/Footer in subsequent sections and
duplicate the Header/Footer in it.

"A Bananna" A wrote in message
I have a Word document (built by someone else). It is one page with Page
Setup showing a different first page. When people use the document, the
second page of the document shows a different header, ie first page holds
info on Title, File No, Department, etc and second page holds Title and

Dept
only (no File No). The second page should be different, and automatically
appears correctly. As long as I insert a page break all is well.

I get into trouble when I put a section break in. It inserts a new section
and automatically puts on the different first page.

What I would like to see is the first page is different for the entire
document and all subsequent pages, regardless if there is a section break

or
page break, will hold the second page information.

I've read the Section break information but can't find an answer for this.

am unable to apply the Different first page to the Entire Document or This
Point Forward - it will only let me apply it to the Section.

Any ideas?