Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default I "saved" my Word doc...where is it??

By all means look in there. It is just a long list of temporary files.

In fact if you add the following macro to Word 2007's normal template

Sub AutoOpen()
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName
End Sub

Then open the attachment again DO NOT SAVE IT!!!!!, the temporary file path
to the document will be printed across the Word title bar - something like

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.Outlook\IQDXWIJ2\Filename.doc

Unlike Office 2003, where any saves you try to make are saved to that
temporary file, Office 2007 (at least when used with Outlook 2007) seems
markedly reluctant to let you save an opened attachment to anywhere other
than a document folder and by default to My Documents - so check there also.

pamik27 wrote:
Graham,
Thanks so much. I did what you suggested, but in my folder called
"Temporary Internet Files," I have only one subfolder, called
Content.IES, and computer is warning me not to open that. Should I
open it? Could the doc be in there?

You can be sure I won't open attachments directly from email again.
It's just that on my old PC (I just got a new one), which had Word
97, you could very easily and reliably find those kinds of documents
(ones that had been opened directly from email and then changes
saved. They were always in C:/Documents and
Settings/Myusername/LocalSettings/Temp.

"pamik27" wrote:

I used Office (Home/Student) 2007 to open an attachment, which was a
Word 97 doc. I opened it, made a bunch of changes (for several
hours!) and all the while was hitting the "save" icon. (It never
asked me to "save as..."). I now cannot find this document anywhere
on my computer.
I know I should have hit "save as" and got the doc onto my C drive.
But in previous Word versions, a document like that would have been
saved in a "tmp" file that I could easily find.
Have I completely lost this document and all the changes I made to
it? HELP? Did this "compatibility mode" mess me up?