Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default How do I invert a table in Word?

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 04:10:01 -0700, Ranjiv
wrote:

I am using Microsoft Office 2003 Professional. I want to invert a table -
i.e. make the columns into rows, and the rows into columns. How can I do
this?

The technical term for what you want to do is "transpose" rather than
"invert". Word doesn't have a tool for that, but Excel does. Assuming
you have Office with both Word and Excel installed, you can transpose
a table as follows:

- Open both programs.

- Select the entire table in Word and copy it to the clipboard.

- Switch to Excel and paste into the first cell of an empty worksheet.
Each cell of the Word table will be placed into a separate cell of the
worksheet.

- Select the table you just pasted, and copy it to the clipboard.

- Click in an empty area of the worksheet, away from the existing
table.

- Click Edit Paste Transpose (I'm not sure exactly what that
sequence is, because I don't have Excel 2003 at the moment).

- Select the transposed table, copy it to the clipboard, and paste it
into the Word document. Delete the original table if necessary.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman