Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
larry larry is offline

Default Page numbering in Word leaves out the number 12. Why? Help

I'm afraid I was not very clear in my response. The problem is that when
there is a section break between the body and the TOC, as therer need it to
be, there is a blank page. I have checked the "page setup, layout" and all
sections are set to "New Page". The problem is that when the numbering format
in section 2 is set to
"Start At" the blank page appears. If I change it to "Continue from previous
section" the blank page disappears. Any thoughts?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Whether the page numbers are continuous from the previous section or start with
a different number has _nothing_ to do with how the numbers are displayed,
whether Roman or Arabic.

The Roman vs. Arabic display is set by a switch in the {PAGE} field in the
header or footer. If you include the \*Roman switch, the numbers will be upper
case Roman numerals; if you include \*roman they'll be lower case roman
numerals. If you include the \*arabic switch or omit the switch completely,
they'll be digits.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 13:37:01 -0700, Larry
wrote:

I have the exact problem and checked the Layout and it is already set to "New
Page". However, when I change the Header/Footer to "Continue from pervious
section" the problem resolves itself. The issue now is that I don't want it
to continue numbering from the previous section as this section starts a TOC
and I want lower case Roman numerals. Any suggestions?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

ce wrote:
In my document I have 19 pages. The numbering goes from 1-11, skips
12, and then goes from 13-20? Any suggestions?

Turn on nonprinting characters (click the ΒΆ button) and look at the boundary
between pages 11 and 13 for a section break.

If you find one there, it may be an Odd Page break; if so, it may be there
to change other section properties, such as margins. In that case, put the
cursor on page "13". Go to File Page Setup Layout, change the section
start to "New page", and click OK.

If it's a Next Page section break, then the following section may be set
explicitly to start on page 13. To change that, put the cursor on page "13".
Go to View Header and Footer. With the cursor now in the header, the
Header & Footer toolbar should be visible. Click the Format Page Number
button on the toolbar. At the bottom of the resulting dialog, if the page
number isn't set to "Continue from previous section", click that option and
click OK.

For more help, see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...thSections.htm.

--