Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Reveal Codes

Your printable area shouldn't shrink when printing to PDF; if so, it should
be possible to redefine it in your PDF software. Word conversions from WP
have never been perfect (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Wo...onverters.htm), and I have the
sense that they are worse than they used to be, perhaps because WP has
diverged even further from Word.

I have always maintained that a preference for Word or WordPerfect depends
on which you started with (your "cradle tongue," as it were), and yet I used
WordStar, XyWrite, and (for quite a long time) WordPerfect before moving to
Word, and I took to Word like a duck to water; it has always seemed more
intuitive to me. Part of that, I'm sure, was that Word was the first Windows
word processor I used, and the GUI made everything easier; WP was slow to
move to a GUI and made a hash of it at first, so it lost the race by being
slow off the starting blocks. It's a shame in some ways, as WP is still
better adapted to some uses, especially in legal offices, but Word is the de
facto standard, and even lawyers have to accept that all their clients will
be using Word, so they have to as well.

http://word.mvps.org

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
Suzanne S Barnhill wrote:

Yes, I've used both, and both have their good and bad points.

That's a refreshing viewpoint. I've encountered Word users who loathe WP,
and vice versa.

I suppose it's merely because WP came first for me, but I can't deny that
its sequential approach seems more logical. I've wondered about using WP
myself, privately, then converting to Word for emailing files to people
who have only that, but I'm concerned about compatibility and integrity.

Maybe WP converted to PDF is the answer? But I've run into problems
printing Word-PDF files - the recognised printable area seems to shrink,
and the font size with it - so maybe WP docs would suffer the same effect.
I must do some more experimenting.

Bert