Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline

Default Reveal Codes

Suzanne S Barnhill wrote:

Your printable area shouldn't shrink when printing to PDF; if so, it
should be possible to redefine it in your PDF software.

I've experimented a fair bit with this, and whatever settings I adopt in my
PDF reader (Adobe Reader 9) the printable area *does* shrink. The
page-by-page formatting remains absolutely spot-on, but the margins (top and
bottom as well as left and right) all increase, with a subsequent reduction
in the font size. I can see no reason for it and it's somewhat baffling.

I took to Word like a duck to water; it has always seemed more intuitive
to me. Part of that, I'm sure, was that Word was the first Windows word
processor I used, and the GUI made everything easier; WP was slow to move
to a GUI and made a hash of it at first...

Ah, that didn't affect me, since I continued to use WP 5.0 for DOS long
after I first (reluctantly) installed Windows for other reasons. I saw no
need to move to a GUI version, partly because the DOS software already did
everything I required, and partly because I was very familiar with it and
didn't want to start learning all over again.

I suspect that how well you take to either program depends at least slightly
on what type of writing you do and how you do it. For me, the linear
approach makes perfect sense: You set up a number of conditions (margins,
font, spacing and all the rest) then enter text until you need to change one
of them. Make the change, then off you go again. Simple, obvious and
logical!

Bert