Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
PC User PC User is offline

Default Word Merge Data From MS Access Options Fields

Hi Doug,

Given an option group on a form in MS Access with one of
the options selected the field on the table that is the control source
has a value. With 12 options, lets say that I chose option 5 that has
a value of 5. Now the option group designed on this form is visually
designed to look like a hardcopy form from a government agency. The
option group appears with 3 rows and 4 columns. This is not an array,
nor is it a table. The checkboxes with their labels are just arranged
in this way as shown on the agency's form. This is the input form on
MS Access so that the user can easily relate on how to read the data
on the agecy form and input it into MS Access. So the form in MS
Access with all other fields now looks exactly like the agency's form.

Now the data from MS Access now needs to go onto an agency
form that is created in an MS Word template. Again to clarify my
point, the agency form designed on the input form in MS Access and the
agency form in MS Word template look exactly like the form from the
government agency. My point being that I am using a option group in
MS Access, but I do not see a way to create an option group in the MS
Word template to pickup the one value of 5 that I selected in MS
Access and merge it into the MS Word template in order to correctly
generate a word merged document. If there was a way to put an
identical field in the MS Word template (i.e. an option group) then
when the value from the MS Access table having merged with the MS Word
template will display in the option group in MS Word.

The problem is that MS Word doesn't have option groups
and the selected value of 5 doen't do anything for the word merge
document. So I'm looking for a method "out of the box" to solve the
problem. Either I have to create a VBA function in MS Word or MS
Access and design the MS Word template to pickup the value from the
function and place it onto the merged document. I'm quite aware that
the option group in MS Access stores only one value in a field. I use
them quite a bit in designing my database; however, word merge is
another creature to me at this point and the fields that I can work
with in a word merge template present some limitations. I'm
considering that VBA to carry the value over to the MS Word template
may be the answer and in my research in a number of online forums, it
doesn't look like anyone has approached the problem before.

Thanks,
PC