Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

Default Default save location for opened documents

After answering the question I THOUGHT you asked, I took the time to read the
question you actually asked in your second paragraph.

How did you set Word to "automatically save to a network drive"? Did you
just set everybody's File Locations tab to a directory on your server? If
that's all you did, the answer to your question is "You really don't want to
force every document that is opened from an existing location [to] default to
save to the network drive." If your company is anything like every company I
have ever worked with, you have a complex structure of directories on your
server. Each department or organization probably has directories and
subdirectories for different kinds of documents.

If every document defaulted back to the main directory on the network drive
every time it was saved, every person who saved a document would have to
navigate back to the directory he/she needed to keep the document in -- every
time each document was saved. Anybody who forgot to navigate back to the
right directory would end up with two copies of the document -- one in the
main directory of the network drive and one in the subdirectory it had
originally been opened from.

Perhaps you have a much more sophisticated system that this, but if you
don't I think you'd find there was a lot more wasted effort involved in
navigating back to the correct directory every time you save than there is
with the occasional lost document.

"Mr B" wrote:

Hi there,

At work we have Word set automatically to save to a network drive for all
users. This works perfectly fine. The problem we have is that when someone
opens an attachment from email (Lotus Notes *gag*), Notes really downloads
the file to a temp folder on C and then opens it from there. THen when
someone goes to do a Save As.., it defaults to that folder on C. Problem iw
we have the C drive hidden so then the user gets an error.

Is there a way to change this so that even documents that are opened from an
existing location will default to save to the network drive?