Both tables were created generically using the Insert | Table button. My
default Table AutoFormat (style) is Table Normal. Although it shouldn't have
made any difference, I checked that all the table columns were the same
widths. Both tables had the same alignment, neither was wrapped; etc. The
document is one that has been reused a lot, so some corruption is not beyond
the bounds of probability.

"Bob S" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:38:16 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Except that for some reason this sometimes doesn't work. I experienced

this
the other day. There was absolutely nothing between the two (identically
formatted) tables; neither was floating, neither had a heading row. But

they
just wouldn't join.

If the two tables have different Table Styles (or equivalently,
different Table | AutoFormat settings), they won't join. But you did
say "identically formatted", so that shouldn't be the issue.

Strange...

Bob S