Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
ejp

Default Determining Word Cell references

JSAB83 wrote:
*In a table with split columns, etc, how do you know what the cell
reference
"name" is so that you can calculate values? Is there a view or option
display this?
Thanks! *

I believe I'm correct in saying that when you split a cell in a column
all columns to the right increase one letter. So when you split cell
b2, the resulting cells are b2 and c2 and the column formerly
identified as "c" is now column "d". This isn't a problem when the
formula is simple, such as =SUM(left) since the absolute references in
the formula are unaffected. Where the formula refers to specific cells
(e.g., =SUM(b2,f4)) you might have to go in and edit the formula to
refer to the correct cells.

For simple tables, I have found that adding a row (new row 1)at the top
and a column at the left (new column "a")before entering formulas and
inserting sequential letters and numbers, respectively, starting with
the second cell in the new column and the second cell of the new row,
allows you to enter formulas using the new cell references you've
created that way. When you're done editing your table, delete the added
row and column and the formulas will automatically refer to the correct
cells.
See the attached Word file that has a very rudimentary table that
illustrates this.

|Attachment filename: table with cell reference row and column.doc|
|Download attachment: http://www.mcse.ms/attachment.php?postid=6730799 |