Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Henk57[_189_] Henk57[_189_] is offline

Default Add Text to Page Numbers (and to TOC)

'Peter Reaper[_2_ Wrote:
;2626827']Henk57 on 10.02.2008 23:56 wrote:-
Peter Reaper;2621213 Wrote: -
Henk57 said on 8.2.2008 23:16:-
Peter Reaper;2618550 Wrote:-
My primary (and still unsolved) problem is the second part
(auto-generate TOC, which includes the text before the page number).
Peter, you could add a chapter number in front of the page number. If
this "15/1" in yr last post is reflecting the chapter numbering, it
might be doable, depending on the exact format of the paragraph
numbering (it also requires to define the paragraph numbering in the
right way - see www.shaunakelly.com). Pls post again with more
detailed requirements if you need more help.-

Just an idea to try:
1. Create one heading in the beginning of your body text that is not
used (say Heading 9) that shows as "15/1 abc", where 15/1 is the
_outline_ number (to be defined according to the instructions from
Shauna Kelly)
2. Format it as white font so it appears invisible. Don't make the
text hidden.
3. Insert / Page Number / [Format...] and check "Include chapter
number". Assign it to Heading 9.
The page number now picks up the 15/1 as long as it doesn't find a
second Heading 9.

It's late here, and I have to go, but I think it's doable, yet
requires
some efforts. My only hesitation is whether "15/1 " can be formatted
as
outline number.-

www.shaunakelly.com didn't yield anything, but there was a link to
further instructions at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Number...pterNumber.htm

I created a "Heading 9", modified its style's "numbering" to "15/1"
(and
deleted all gray "1.1.1."s), inserted a "Heading 9" at top of my
document (in the section where the page numbers start), went into the
footer, selected "Format Page Number", [x]include chapter number,
Chapter starts with style [Heading 9], Use separator [hyphen].

I get nothing. The page number in the footer is still only a single
number, and the TOC is also only a single number - no "15/1".

PS. Can I post in HTML with screenshots here?
--
Regards,

Peter Reaper

The browser you can trust: www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox: www.GetThunderbird.com

Israel - Myths & Facts: http://www.JewishVirtualLibrary.org/
Dangers of Islam (German): http://www.pi-news.net/
Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster: http://www.venganza.org/

Ok, I fiddled a bit and to show 15/1 you need two levels - 15 and 1,
separated by the forward slash, because only the "gray" fields are
picked up as the chapter. So it'll cost you Heading 8 ("15") - must be
gray "1" in yr set up, and choose start at 15. Base Level 9 on level 8,
so Heading 9 shows 15/1 - with 15 and 1 both grey, the / just plain text
between it. Now the chapter assignment to heading 9 in the page number
will show 15/1-1, 15/1-2, etc.
(PS: make sure Level 8 and 9 do not cause problems later if the
document is assembled with other chapters)

--
Henk57