Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Katie Katie is offline

Default citing using numbers in the text instead of words

I found a way to get numbered citations in the text. after you 'insert
citation', and add a new citation entry you get the name of your source in
brackets (Doe,J et al. 2008). click on the little triangle at the lower right
corner of the citation and click on 'edit citation'. this allows you to edit
the appearance of the citation in the text. where it says add, put the
desired number into the box. I want my Doe, J citation to be number 1, so i
put a 1 in the box. then check all three of the boxes below, to remove the
name, date and author from the citation field. now your citation should read
(1).

Now you should also go to manage sources, up in the toolbar of the
references tab and make sure you change the 'sort by' field to 'sort by tag'.
then you can give your source a new tag, which corresponds to the number
....1. this wont be updated automatically so you should leave this part until
the end. when you next update your citations, by clicking on the tab in the
works cited section, it should update and you shold have numbers in the text
and in the works cited.

"Ariel" wrote:

Word 2007 brings the possibility of making a bibliography, but it contains
fixed bibliography styles. How can I make one of my own?