Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

Default sorting partial rows & columns-preferably in 2 languages

Yes you can, select the columns you want to sort, if you are doing the whole
100 rows, run the mouse cursor over the top of the first row and you will see
an arrow pointing down, press the left-mouse button and hold, then select the
next two columns. Do your sort via Table, Sort, it will give you the options
about Header Row, and which column to sort by and Ascending or Descending.
Then repeat on columns 4-5-6.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"pintree3" wrote:

I have 6 columns and about 100 rows
column 1 pinyin Chinese , -2 is its Chinese character and 3- its english
meaning
The same is repeated for columns 4,5,6.
How can sort / alphabetize only the 1st 3 columns, and then, separately the
next 3.
Something like this
1 2 3 - 1 2 3
a @ Money -- a % fire
b # Apple -- d & cats
c $ Coats -- f # bask

note that the first 3 columns are sorted according to the 1st column and not
the other 2
And the next set of 3 is also done so, independant of the other set.

One way I thought I could do so is to have 2 different tables side by side
(1 on the left 1 on the right) but I do not know how to do this.
It doesn't have to be Word it could be done in any other Office.
Also, ideally it would be nice to be able to sort it according to 3 rules
1 set sorting by its Pinyin
2nd set sorted by Chinese characters
3d set sorted by English words.

I wa sthinking Excel or a database programn may be better--but I would need
tio be held by the hand with exact instructions with these 2 sionce I do not
know them much.

Thank you