Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Default The long, medial or descending s (ſ)

Glad it helped.

If you know the name of the symbol, a Google search of the name in
combination with the keyword "unicode" will often provide you with some
links to the actual code for the symbol.

If you don't have the name of the symbol (which is commonly the case for
questions in this group), it comes down to trying to figure out to which
subsection of the unicode charts it belongs, and then checking them page by
page.

Yves

"richard" wrote in message
On 5/15/2010 12:53 PM, Yves Dhondt wrote:
I'm guessing you mean unicode symbol 017F. In Word type 017F (select it)
and press ALT+X. In Word 2007, Arial, Calibri, Comic, Courier and many
other fonts contain this symbol.

Yves

"richard" wrote in message
I need to insert into my document the old-fashioned letter "s" that
resembles an italicized "f" without the crossbar of the "f." I am
using Word 2007 and wonder how I can replicate that letter. [The long
"s" was used at the beginning and middle of words, as seen in the Bill
of Rights, for example]

Thanks

I installed Jeff's fonts but the "s's" were not descending.
Yves, thank you for your suggestion--it worked and solved my problem. How
in the world did you know that?!
Richard