Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default The long, medial or descending s (ſ)

No, they are not descending, but they are the type used in printed matter of
the period. And they are not descending in any of the fonts Yves mentioned,
either. I did miss that this character is also available in Times New Roman
(didn't spot it in the Symbol dialog because it *isn't* descending).

http://word.mvps.org

"richard" wrote in message
On 5/15/2010 12:53 PM, Yves Dhondt wrote:
I'm guessing you mean unicode symbol 017F. In Word type 017F (select it)
and press ALT+X. In Word 2007, Arial, Calibri, Comic, Courier and many
other fonts contain this symbol.

Yves

"richard" wrote in message
I need to insert into my document the old-fashioned letter "s" that
resembles an italicized "f" without the crossbar of the "f." I am
using Word 2007 and wonder how I can replicate that letter. [The long
"s" was used at the beginning and middle of words, as seen in the Bill
of Rights, for example]

Thanks

I installed Jeff's fonts but the "s's" were not descending.
Yves, thank you for your suggestion--it worked and solved my problem. How
in the world did you know that?!
Richard