Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Default what is telework mean?

Terry,

Having recently retired from an organization employing over almost 500 Civil
Service employees; many of whom wouldn't actually do much work anywhere
(like a broken gun ... it doesn't work and you can't fire it), it is little
wonder that many bosses don't trust their workers to work unsupervised.
There are other pitfalls as well. We were located in central PA and had an
employee who "teleworked" from some remote place in Montana. We had to pay
travel and per diem cost each time she was required to attend functions in
PA. Also the employer is responsible for accidents and injuries that could
occur in that small home office. I don't think it is very professional for
a client to call a teleworker and hear the washing machine grinding in the
backgroud, the television or small child screaching.

Teleworking and especially governement mandated teleworking quotas is a
Union representatives dream. It is like a "Get Out of Jail" free card for
an employee who is habitually late for work. On the surface teleworking may
sound like an ideal step to minimize congestion and save on fuel, in my
view however it is better suited for Utopia.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Terry Farrell wrote:
It is a horrible name that infers working from home or other remote
places just as if you are at a work place.

Obviously, you cannot flip burgers remotely for McDonalds at home,
but with a remote connection, you can perform work on your computer
and telephone exactly the same as though at the office.

With the cost of energy rising so fast, teleworking is something that
can only grow because it makes so much sense. The main impediment to
this at the moment is that many bosses don't trust their workers to
work unsupervised. But for many computer-based tasks (Help Desks for
example), there is absolutely no reason why many thousands of workers
commute to a call centre when they can do exactly the same task from
a small home office with relatively little investment (telephone,
laptop and broadband).

"lilcheesey" wrote in message

Lilcheesey