Margaret Aldis

Thanks for the feedback. The way Word picks up templates by name can be a
real pain - especially as I think the priority order may have changed over
the versions and certainly isn't brought to your attention in any
documentation.

However, the template shouldn't be making style changes - it sounds like you
do have 'update styles' checked for the document and it is really never a
good idea to leave that box checked when you save. If that setting is in the
template it is difficult to remove there - you will probably have to remake
the template from a document.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"MHP" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks!

It turns out that the local (draft) copy of the template on my hard
drive was grabbing the document, making for some very inconsistent
updates to the real template.

If I wasn't in such a rush, I'd be incandescent with rage! When I
specify a setting, I expect it to stay that way.