Stefan Blom

Default Style with numbering - paragrah formatting changes when numbering restarted (Word 2003)

"Paul" wrote in message
Thanks for that Stefan .

I need to keep things as simple as possible for the users, so I have

just
added a macro+button to fix the damage done to the numbering

paragraphs by
restarting the numbering. I think it will be easier to teach the

users that
once they have selected the list and restarted it, after panicing

about the
fouled up margins, they need to hit this button to 'fix' the

paragraphs
again.

If you need more on macro solutions, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...artFromVBA.htm, which also
includes links to setting up numbering schemes via VBA.

Given that we are now at version 11 of Word (OK, I know they skipped

numbers
between 2 and 6) rubbish like this really ought to be fixed and

working
properly. I persuaded my users to move to Word 2003 because the
merge/compare is broken in Word 2000 (gets messed up on tables and

long
documents) - now I need to go back to them with a 'bodge' becasue

Word 2003
still isn't right! Sorry to rant - I know it isn't you, but if you

have any
influence as an MVP you might want to let MS know that (if I am in

any way
typical) experienced users are starting to think about OpenOffice

because
the 'basics' in MS Word still aren't sorted.

I think bugs are corrected regularly with service packs and upgrades
of different kinds, but perhaps Microsoft could be even better at
this, considering that so many people use Word/Office around the
world.

However, fixing problems that are related to the underlying structure
is probably a lot harder (programmers know more about this than I do).

See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...gExplained.htm for
more about numbering in Word.

--