Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
spartiaticus spartiaticus is offline

Default Changing outline level modifies currrent style settings in Wor

Hi,

In Word 2003, whenever I changed the outline level through the toolbar icon,
my document formatting (font, indent, spacing, etc.) for that specific
heading would not change. Only the outline level changed. In word 2007, doing
the same thing forces what seems to be a default heading style to the area of
the document that is changed. Although I believe I understand the reason for
this. it was unexpected.

The document is not new but was created in a previous version of Word. I
would expect Word 2007 to respect the original formatting of the document and
not apply any other style, default or otherwise unless explicitly commanded
to do so. As it is right now, when promoting or demoting an outline level I
must make a host of other modifications to revert to the document's original
formatting.

If I am doing something wrong, please inform so that I can properly use this
newer version, or direct me to a workaround that is just as effective. Thank
you.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

How are you applying the levels? What style is assigned at the outset?

I'm not sure what you're expecting to happen, but Word 2007 works
essentially the same way in this respect that every previous version of Word
has worked. When using heading styles, outline levels correspond to Heading
1 through Heading 9.

You can associate other styles with specific outline levels. But, Heading 1
through 9 are assigned by default.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"spartiaticus" wrote in message
Why does Word 2007 always apply a style modification every time I promote
or
demote an outline level in my document? Previous versions of Word retained
the style and font unaltered whenerver an oultine level change was made.
If
there is a setting to prevent automatic application of a different style,
someone please let me know where this is. I'm tired of always needing to
reformat my fonts and other document settings when modifying the ouline
level.

Thanks in advance.