Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Default mergefield time format switch ignored

which it
says regardless of which time format I choose

That isn't what happens here, and I wonder if there might be a problem in
your Excel sheet, especially if it has been upgraded from an earlier version
of Excel. (It probably isn't important, but are you using the English (U.S.)
locale ?)

Peter Jamieson

"Pauline Evans" wrote in message
news
In Excel, when I select one of these cells and do Format Cells, it comes
up
showing the cell formatted as Number, Category Time, Type 13:30. In the
line
at the top that shows the contents of the cell, it says 12:05:00 AM, which
it
says regardless of which time format I choose. (If I change it to Date
format, that does change, but I made a point of not using a Date format.)

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The only effect this has is to give a choice of conversion options. It
will
have to be made on all machines as you suspect. I still think there must
be
something amiss with your Excel data formatting as I cannot recreate the
problem.

Pauline Evans wrote:
I had read about the possibility of using DDE, and will try it, but I
was concerned about possible unintended side effects since I am
designing this for use by other people in my group, and I would (I
assume) have to make this change to Word option settings on each PC
where someone might need to use this document. What other effects
might this change have? I don't know of any other mailmerge documents
being used but I'm not familiar with every document used within my
group.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

I have tried, but can't reproduce this. If you enter a time in Excel
as 00:05 then Excel gives this a custom format of hh:mm. The
underlying data in Excel (see the command line) is 00:05:00. If you
format the cells as TIME then depending on which format you select
the time could be shown as 00:05:00 AM.

You could get the results you report if the times in Excel are
formatted as dates, but I would have thought that would have been
obvious.

If you are sure that your times are correctloy formatted then use the
alternative connection method to attach your data file - see the
Excel data section of

Pauline Evans wrote:
I am doing a merge from Excel 2003 to Word 2003, and the field is
formatted as time in Excel (just time, no date). In Word I am trying
to use a format switch to format the time since I read that Word
just gets the raw data from Excel. My field is written as {
mergefield Time \@ "HH:mm" }, which for a value in Excel of 0:05
should give me 00:05 but instead gives me 12/30/1899 12:05:00 AM. I
have tried adding or taking away spaces, single vs. double quotes
or no quotes, varying time formats, and the result is always the
same. I have searched forums for an answer and have seen other
people with the same question but have not yet seen an answer
beyond what I have already tried.