Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
James James is offline

Default Copy paste !

Mm thats all nice and stuff but doesnt have to do with my question

Are you replying to some1 eles question

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do you deny that you wrote the post that says, "whats thats mean..force
something to a new page?"

To go back to your original question, however, Alt+Enter does not insert a
page break, so I'm not sure what it's doing for you. Perhaps you can
describe in what way your copy/pasted material is changing when you paste it
into an existing document?

Note that text will reflow if the margins in the target document are
different from those in the source document. Moreover, if you paste text in
a given style into a document with a different definition of the same style,
the formatting will change (as Shauna's articles describe). There are other
possible changes based on section/document-level formatting.

"james" wrote in message
NO..i asked about copying and pasting....
WHATS so hard about my question everytime i come on here?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You asked about the meaning of forcing text to the next page.

"james" wrote in message

Ok i dont know what this all is for
SOmehow we went in another direction here.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

When you insert a page break, you are forcing the text following it to
appear on the next page. If that's your intent, there are often better
(less
irrevocable) ways of doing it.

1. If you are positive you always want the text to start a new page
(beginning of a chapter or section, for example), you can insert a
manual
page break, but often it is better to format the heading that begins
the
new
part as "Page break before" (Format | Paragraph | Line and Page
Breaks).
The
reason for this is that a manual page break takes on the formatting of
the
following paragraph (the heading), which can cause problems if the
heading
style includes shading.

2. If you're just trying to keep text together, and there's a
possibility
that the text will need to reflow when upstream text is edited, it's
better
to keep it together using the "Keep with next" and (if necessary)
"Keep
lines together" check boxes in Format | Paragraph | Line and Page
Breaks.
This will allow the text to flow as a block but will not prevent it
from
flowing back onto a previous page if there's room for it.

Where you can really get into trouble with manual page breaks is when
text
is reformatted for a different printer. If a page ending in a manual
page
break is just one line too long to fit within the margins enforced by
the
printer, then one or two lines may be forced to the next page; because
of
the manual page break, there will be just the one line (or probably
two,
thanks to widow/orphan control) on that page; the whole document will
alternate (almost) filled pages and two-line pages.