Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman

Default Random letter colors?

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 07:41:05 -0800, LurfysMa
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:08:20 +0200, "Graham Mayor"
wrote:

Another possibility is the inverse of Jay's code

Sub RandomColors()
Dim oCh As Range
Dim myColor As Word.WdColorIndex
Randomize
For Each oCh In Selection.Characters
Do
myColor = 14 * Rnd() + 1
Loop Until (myColor = wdBlue) Or (myColor = wdRed) Or (myColor =
wdGreen)
oCh.Font.ColorIndex = myColor
Next oCh
End Sub

I was thinking of defining an array to hold the desired list of
colors. I'll have to figure out what the numbers are for red and green
(for Christmas letters). Then I could either select them randomly or
cycle through them.

I'll play with these variations.

Thanks

To find the numbers, go into the VBA editor and press F2 to open the
Object Browser. Type wdColorIndex into the search box and press Enter.
Near the bottom right you'll see a list of "Members of wdColorIndex"
with the names. Click any color name and look at the bottom-most pane
to see its numeric value.

Another way is to open the Immediate window in the editor (shortcut is
Ctrl+G) and type a question mark followed by the color name. When you
press Enter, the value will be printed below (because the question
mark is shorthand for the Print command). For example,

?wdRed

displays the value 6.

Finally, you don't have to know the numbers at all. You can do
something like this:

Dim ColorArray(2) As WdColorIndex ' declares 3 elements 0,1,2
Dim myColor As WdColorIndex

ColorArray(0) = wdBlue
ColorArray(1) = wdRed
ColorArray(2) = wdGreen

and then in the For Each loop select one element from the array this
way:

myColor = ColorArray(Int(3 * Rnd()))

The 3 in this statement is the number of elements in the array -- it
could also be written as

myColor = ColorArray(Int((UBound(ColorArray) + 1) * Rnd()))

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman