Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly

Default How to stop auto-formatting from changing to default on re-boo

Hi Troubled, Graham

Another person on this newsgroup reported similar problems earlier this
week. He was using something called CCleaner, which is apparently a registry
"cleaner" available for free. It was deleting his Word data key, and his
settings with it.

The post is at:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7c419a625f848a

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
You did delete the whole data key and not just the toolbar key?
I can't readily see any mechanism by which registry changes are routinely
wiped on a reboot.
It would be worth checking out the standard fixes
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm . Repair Word and
run chkdsk on your hard drive.

Troubled479 wrote:
Graham:

It is my personal computer. I tried the "fix" but when I re-boot the
computer it still reverts to the default settings. I re-booted a
couple of times just to make sure.

Any other suggestions?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Is this a personal or company machine? If the former then it is
probably that your Word data key in the registry is corrupt. Delete
it and Word will create a new one - see
http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm (which shows the
location of the data key).

I the latter you need to take it up with your IT department.

Troubled479 wrote:
I keep unchecking the auto formatting options; and the button to
Allow Starting in Reading Layout; and the number under recently
used file list.

Each time I reboot my settings are changed to default.

How can I make my settings permanent?