salventuro salventuro is offline
Junior Member

Hi Doug Robbins. Hi macropod.

Thank you for the replies.

I navigated to the link you provided, it looks good.

Doug, yes, the information in each of the spreadsheets is going to be identical in layout, all on sheet1.

There are six merge fields, which are used from each Excel workbook, sheet1.

I have placed six text boxes, (where a merge field is inserted), on top of a picture of a form, in a Word doc.

The merge works, I can propagate the docs successfully, individually.

You are also correct in that I am creating only one document, from each Excel spreadsheet.

I hope I have provided enough additional information to paint a clearer picture for you. If not, please let me know. If need be I can provide a mock sample of the Excel and Word docs.

I will try the VBA, if successful; I will post the final code so others might use it.
If I am not successful, I will definitely be back seeking your guidance.

Doug, any tips or pointers you can provide, regarding the added information you requested. would be greatly appreciated.

macropod,

The link solution you mention sounds great.

The Excel cells are always in the same location in each of the workbooks.
I run a macro, to rename all the original Excel files, the name is taken from three cells from a row in Excel. Is this similar to what you are suggesting?

If yes, can you point me in the direction on how to apply it in Word?

Thank you both again for the information and your time, I truly appreciate it.

Have a great day!

Sal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macropod[_2_] View Post
Hi salventuro,

If the Excel cells you want to read from are always in the same location in each of the workbooks, a better approach might be to use
a template that has a LINK field pointing to any file in the source folder, then simply use the macro to change the linked file
names to correspond with each of the Excel files and save the file as you've proposed with the same name as the Excel workbook
(different extension, of course).

One potential advantage of this over a mailmerge is that the Excel cells don't all ahve to be on the one worksheet. Another is that,
once the files are created and provided you leave the links intact, later changes in the Excel workbooks will be reflected in the
corresponding documents.

--
Cheers
macropod

"salventuro" wrote in message ...

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is having a good day.

This is my first post here, I'm a noob, so be gentle. LOL

I am running Office 2003 Pro on XP Pro SP2.

I have been searching the web for a solution to a project I'm working
on, to no avail. I don't know if it's even possible.

I have inserted the image of a form in a Word doc, I have mapped the
fields to be merged from the data in excel spreadsheets

I can perform the mail merge manually. The issue is, I have over one
thousand excel doc's to perform the merge on. Can a macro be used to
loop through a folder, merge and propogate to a new Wrd doc for each
excel doc?

This will create over one thousand word doc's, which will then be
emailed to the corresponding employees.

Also, can the name of the new Word doc created, be saved as the
corresponding name as the Excel doc?
Example, if the Excel doc is named 123abc.xls. can the new propogated
Word doc be saved as 123ab.doc?

Any assistance or links anyone knows of, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day!

--
salventuro