kaye123 kaye123 is offline
Junior Member

[quote='Stefan Blom[_3_];494862']Since you have replied to an old thread, I see your post out of context
(because I'm using an NNTP newsreader where older messages get deleted
regularly).

In what way do you want to change the footnotes in Word? Which version of
Word are you using?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Hello Stephan and Lisa
Using Word 2010 Win 32 bit
Can I start again because I have been doing some trouble shooting although I am not sure I can make my problem clear. I have had a macro for footnotes and I was using it trouble free. It is still in global templates. It was just a margin setting in footnotes. I have a lot of add ons because I have endnote citation software that opens with Word.
1. My main problem was that I have inadvertently saved some files in word and others in macro template. I didn't create this and don’t know how it happened. HOWEVER
2 I now have a normal.dotm problem. As a result I have a lot of files that appear to be roaming files and I cannot open them.
3 Normal.dotm. I only have one normal file which is macro enabled as I deleted all the others although I didn’t have any that were not macro enabled. But I cannot delete the last one because I get the message that I have a word document open elsewhere. I don’t have an actual document open but I do have word open without a document. I can’t get rid of this until I save it but then I get a message that a file is open so I don’t save and it goes away until I open a word file again. So I go for don’t save and of course it comes back again.
4 So I do not have a normal.dotm word file, just a normal.docm in macro enabled templates.

I have tried a few things. In options, advanced, I do not have prompt before saving ticked.
I have searched for normal.dotm and only have the macro enabled normal.dotm. I cannot delete this because I have the file open again. I also get a lot of files that are read only files. So all sorts of problems. This has only been happening over a week. Another option I have changed is preserve fidelity when sharing. I have ticked saved embedded fonts. I don’t know if this will fix the italics problem. In cut copy and paste I have changed to keep source formatting. But this seems to revert back to other options.
I receive files back from proofreading and they come back to me ok.
So my first problem is dealing with the normal.dotm files.
I hope you can make sense of this.

kind regards
I have just seen a document that explained that normal docm is supposed to be macro enabled. This article describes my problem in "Read only mode" with screenshots. http://www.wordarticles.com/Articles...tes/Normal.php

I cant print yet to read it thoroughly because printer has decided not to work.!! But I know the article doesn't show how to fix it. I have just opened all my documents but haven't tried saving yet but so far all is well. I have already followed instructions in options in the trust centre so this is ok. My documents are being sent back from proofing from a third party so this may be why I had trouble. . Especially related to read only files when I can't see this, but this has only occurred recently. The article is here
http://www.wordarticles.com/Articles...tes/Normal.php
.

Last edited by kaye123 : October 29th 13 at 07:20 AM Reason: New information