Cowtoon

Jay ... that did the trick. I inserted that field (in place of the "y"
field) and it worked. I'm surprised that it puts in a merge field, but it
works. Thanks so much. That's much better than the work around that I used
before. I'm surprised that microsoft doesn't have that as an option with
their autotext. The resulting field code is this: Page { PAGE } of {
SECTIONPAGES \* MERGEFORMAT }
Thanks again. Diana

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Hi Diana,

If you used the built-in "page x of y" (that's actually an AutoText entry),
then the y value is indeed a NumPages field. By definition, that evaluates
to the total number of pages in the document.

Looking back at your original post, you said you were seeing a result like
"Page 24 of 21" -- where x is greater than y. Is that really the case, or
are you actually seeing something where x is much less than y when they
should be nearly the same? For example, on the last page of the document,
you might see "Page 3 of 15"? That would be caused by restarting the page
numbers (the x) from 1 in each section, but still using the NumPages field
for y. You should be able to fix that by replacing the NumPages field with a
SectionPages field.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Cowtoon wrote:
Sorry.
When I get back to work, I'll send you what what the field is when I
toggle (Alt F9). I'm pretty sure it reads numpages (as the y value),
but I can't say that I remember it exactly. To create the field,
while in the header/footer area, I simply inserted the built-in "page
x of y" field (while in footers). It's not a PageRef field.
I'll send the field codes tomorrow. I hope it will help.

I'm not sure what you are asking when you ask for the composition.
It's made up of several sections and in most instances, I have the
section restart the page number from 1. The first section that I
want the numbering to work properly has only a few pages, however,
it's reporting all of the sections that preceed it, totalling 15.
It's a strange bug, that's for sure. Diana

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Why don't you respond to the other part of the post? What are the
actual field codes in your document?

If that isn't it, right-click the field and select Toggle Field
Codes. Is it really a NumPages field, or is it maybe a PageRef
field pointing to a bookmark that's on page 21? Or a SectionPages
field?

Also, what is the composition of your document?

Did you try updating the fields?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/