Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default Manual Table of Contents

I take it the manual TOC is a new feature of Word 2007 that I am not
familiar with? It sounds like an idiotic idea. I would suggest inserting a
*real* TOC field that can be updated.

"Dharma" wrote in message
Doug:

Yup! This is the problem:

However if what you are saying is that only the first 2 of your 16 "Level

1"
headings are being displayed in the table of contents, then either:

1. The table of contents needs to be updated - Use Shift+F9 to toggle

off
the display of the field codes and use F9 to update the table of

contents.

2. The remainder of the "Level 1" headings are not formatted with the
Heading 1 style.

All of my headings are properly formatted as either Heading 1, Heading 2,

or
Heading 3. I have been trying Shift+F9, but absolutely nothing happens.

If
I hit the !Update Table button I get the message "The current document

does
not contain a Table of Contents field that can be updated automatically.

insert one, click the Table of Contents button on the Referencces tab. If
you filled out a table manually, you must updadt it manually."

Since I chose the Manual Table from the Built-in TOC menu, I need to do it
manually, but I can't add to what is automatically inserted into my

document.
If I go to the end of the last line (after the page number) and hit

enter, I
just end up adding normal text with no leaders, page number, etc. (if I

try
adding my own leader or tabbing over to insert level 2 data, nothing lines
up).

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Dharma