Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Dharma Dharma is offline

Default Manual Table of Contents

Yes, it is a new feature of Word 2007, but just because you are not familiar
with it doesn't make it idiotic. I think it's probably going to be a very
useful option - just need to get through the learning curve on how to get it
to work. I actually started out with a *real* TOC, but because the document
I need it for was created by someone else (a business plan purchased from
QuickPlan) that requires a great deal of editing, and the original headings,
tabs, etc., aren't all what I need and where I need them, the *real* TOC was
looking rather crappy with leaders and tabs not lined up. A manually inserted
TOC is going to be a far less labor intensive option, easier than
painstakingly going through the entire document and changing every text
style, tab stop, font, format, etc., of the information that is needed in the
TOC, because as you wrote in your article " Have you ever tried pasting from
someone else's documents into your own, or even just changing the page
margins, or the font; and found that their tabbed lists no longer line up €“
so you have to waste a lot of time reformatting them? If so, it's because
the person who created the document didn't use tabs properly."

The way to make it work has got to be very simple and I'm sure someone out
there knows how to do it.

Anyway, I think Office 2007 is absolutely rockin' - but it will take a while
to learn all the new tricks!

Thanks, Dharma

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I take it the manual TOC is a new feature of Word 2007 that I am not
familiar with? It sounds like an idiotic idea. I would suggest inserting a
*real* TOC field that can be updated.