Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Artful_Dodger via OfficeKB.com Artful_Dodger via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Mysterious changes in new hyperlink - backslash becomes forward slash

PS -- I just noticed that hyperlinks I created in a new document still end up
with forward slashes and "%20" for spaces in the file names. Why this sudden
shift in format, I do not know.

However, I note that when a file name contains the symbol "#" the link won't
work. If I replace it with a hyphen the link works.

Artful_Dodger wrote:
Correct. However, note that an entirely new Word doc will still convert the
backslashes to forward slashes and insert "%20" where there is a space in the
doc name. Link still works, tho.

The non-working link is in the original doc and it exists side by side with
working links.

I created doc only in Word. I even copied the whole doc (with ctrl-A) to a
new blank Word doc but this did not change the behavior.

It's not a serious problem at this point so I don't want to impose on you as
tho I'm stymied with some huge project. I just don't like to not understand
something like this. I'm used to "magical" behavior of Word and have learned
that most of it is due to some setting I'm unaware of, etc. This one has got
me buffaloed, however, and I'm also a bit nervous about whether this is the
harbinger of some more destructive instability.

If you want to forget this problem now that would be fine with me, however.
I appreciate your taking as much time as you have already.

AD

Hi Artful_Dodger,

[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]