Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default Does Word have all the capabilities to produce a 400-page non-fiction book?

Although it doesn't do Micro Justification, if you enable the 'Do
Justification like WordPerfect' option under Compatibility, Word is capable
of reasonable justification, though adjusting the character spacing by
decimal points can improve it.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Steve Hayes" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 18:39:04 -0500, "BudV" wrote:

I would like to see a general discussion on the suitability of Word for
producing a 400-page non-fiction book, and all the bells and whistles that
that implies, including: Automatic page-number referencing, footnotes,
automatic creation of Table of Contents, indexes, etc.. The author is
familiar with Word, and it's free, so it starts off in the lead;
nevertheless, he is willing to purchase other software that will make his
project easier.

Word isn't free.

But otherwise, the answer to the question depends on the kind of book.

As far as I know, Word can only do one index, and one set of
footnotes/endnotes.

It also doesn't do microjustification, so it's best not to try full
justification.

If the author is prepared to live with those limitations, then Word can do
the
book.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa