Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Mail merge only displaying some fields but not others

Merging from a .asp isn't something I either do or can set up easily for
testing. However, the main reason why you would get no data in those
fields is that the data going into them is blank, and the main reason
for that would be that you're using ODBC rather then OLE DB to get the
data from your ASP (cf. the nearby conversation on that subject).
However, if the same fields are populating fields outside text boxes but
not inside there must be another factor at work.

As far as I know you can't normally open a merge data source that is
located at an http:// address, so I wonder what you are actually
opening. (Someone here mentioned that it could be done if you set up the
file pathname directly in a Word 2007 .docx file or perhaps .xml file).

Opening a .asp would I assume actually result in Word opening a HTML
format file.

Maybe if you can spell out how you are connecting to your data source it
would help.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 21/01/2010 01:16, JamesWarrior wrote:
Hey there Peter!

Wish you could help me with this issue i'm facing.. i have a .dot
template which i merge with a mssql2k table from an aspnet page.. most
fields merge/fill just fine but the thing is that i have some fileds
inside of textboxes (not the vb textboxes but squares, rectangles,
etc..in the word document) and i just can't get them merged, they're
not recognized as fields when i iterate through them inside the
code..

i tested merging from the word document itself (using tools/letters
and mailings/mail merge/etc...) using an xls file as input.. and it
worked ok.

is it possible to merge/fill fields like that via asp net??

I'm using word 2003..

thanx a lot for your time!

James