Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Default IF Statements in Mail Merge

Hi Lurkette,

Try this approach:
.. duplicate the mailmerge field to be tested (ie «Boat_Name1») so that you get «Boat_Name1»«Boat_Name1»;
.. select both fields and Press Ctrl-F9 to enclose them in a new field, thus {«Boat_Name1»«Boat_Name1»};
.. fill in around the new field braces so that you end up with: {IF«Boat_Name1» "" «Boat_Name1»};
.. position the cursor anywhere in this field and press F9 to update it;
.. run your mailmerge.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Lurkette" wrote in message ...
I am having difficulties with creating an If statement within a Mail Merge
document. I have looked at a number of threads to find out how to construct
the statement and a number of articles on the web but still I cannot generate
the correct response. I am trying to extract information from Excel. If the
Excel cell = "NoInfo" then the Word field should be " " otherwise merge the
field from Excel into Word. I seem to be having problems with the spacing in
my statements, but whenever I have followed the examples my statement does
not work. I have tried both inserting a field and typing the statement &
then Ctrl F9, but still no success. I have tried numerous combinations of
spacing according to the examples but to no avail.
Can anyone help?
IF {MERGEFIELDBOAT_NAME1} = "NoInfo" " "{ MERGEFIELD BOAT_NAME1 }"