Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Bizarre Word 2002 SP3 problems

I've been formatting a long doc for a while now. Recently, I've
started having bizarre (to me) problems. I don't know whether I've
unwittingly caused them or if an update caused:

1. All of a sudden my Tools menu changed. Options no longer appeared.
I had to dig it out under customization and pull it up on the toolbar
where it sits next to Tools now. There have probably been other
changes too, but I noticed Options because I use it a lot.

2. The delete key will no longer delete selected text without an
intermediate step. Along the bottom bar I see "Delete block? No Yes"
If I hit Y for yes, the selected text is finally deleted. This feature
might be okay in a few situations, but it is a real drag to put up
with all the time.

3. I have a paragraph style that indents the first line 0.15". Typing
with the style in place, if I hit the return key to start a new
paragraph, it doesn't indent. The style box shows "+ 0" first line
indent" after the style name.

I'm sure there are more, but these are really getting to me.

I reset the defaults to original, thinking I could get back to where
I was. No such luck. Still the same problems. I also reinstalled word
in the repair/fix mode. Still no luck.

I'm hoping these are simple problems for someone. TIA for any help.

Barry