Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Help with Formatting Percentages in Mail Merge Master Document

Are you using Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of braces?

"Harry H." wrote in message
Thank you Graham...

For some reason, we just can't get the nested braces (i.e., {...}) to work
without a syntax error. I had a couple of people check my fomulation
vis-a-vis your suggested code, and we tried lots of different combinations

of
spacing (before/after braces, equal sign, etc.), but we just couldn't get

it
to work. We have to get this done, so I went back to the Excel

spreadsheet
and performed the multiplication (by 100) there, and that allowed use of

the
formatting on the Word master document without the nested braces.

Nonetheless, I've bookmarked your writeup on mail merge formatting for
future reference.

Thank you...

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You might try what is actually shown on my web page

{={Mergefield Percent_Increase} * 100 \# "0%"}

Harry H. wrote:
I am using Word 2003 to create letters the merge payroll data from an
Excel 2003 spreadsheet.

Graham Major's formatting instructions (
http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm ) have helped
immensly to display the currency and date fields properly.

However, I can't seem to get the percentage format to work.

The suggested "{ ={MERGEFIELD "Percent_Increase" } * 100\* "0%" }"
renders "!Syntax Error, {"

If I use: { MERGEFIELD "Percent_Increase" * 100\* "0%" } it renders
"0%" for an input value of 5.00% (on the Excel spreadsheet).

If I use: { MERGEFIELD "Percent_Increase" * 100\* "0.00%" } it
renders "0.05%" for an input value of 5.00% (on the Excel
spreadsheet).

If I use: { MERGEFIELD "Percent_Increase" * 100\* "0.0%" } it renders
"0.1%" for an input value of 5.00% (on the Excel spreadsheet).

Note: All of the column names in the Excel spreadsheet show up in the
Word master document enclosed in quotation marks (i.e., ").

I've been trying many different combinations of the suggested
mergefield code, but to no avail. Basically, it appears that the
multiplication by 100 is not effective.

Any suggestions?