Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default Document switch to become Read-Only when it's not suppose to

Lee

Thanks for the hands up. I also believe that PaperPort has been reported as
causing this as well as some network tools.

Terry

"LeeN" wrote in message
I solved this problem on my machine by disabling the Adobe Acrobat PDF
Maker
COM add-in. When that add-in is enabled, some of my documents were, on
their
own, becoming read-only while open. After disabling that add-in, this
problem no longer occurs.

Lee

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Sounds like a bad third party add-in running on your computer. Check what
you have installed that your colleagues don't have.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"PSYCHO" wrote in message
I am having the same problem with Word. It opens documents with the
"read
only" format and I must rename to save it. I am on a network and run
XP
on
my computer. Other users can open the same files and make changes
without
this bug, so I can assume that it can only be a problem with my
settings
or
program.

Any solutions?

"LeeN" wrote:

I am having this same problem in Word 2007. The document changes to
read-only (with "(read only)" after the name in the title bar, on its
own
for no apparent reason. Two facts that might help debug this. It
started
doing this after I installed a major update from the Office Update
site.
had also installed Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 a few weeks ago, but the
problem
did
not start occurring until after the office update.