Al G.

Default Table width behavior

That does work but the text is up against the border. I know how to add
fake cell spacing (use paragraph formatting on cell text) but that is a
probably not a good idea.

The % and then center works too although this can not be saved as a
style (the percentage part).

Al

Tony Jollans wrote:
For a whole table ..
Table Properties Table (tab)
Click on Options
Set Left and Right to 0

For one column (or other combination of cells) ..
Select the column
Table Properties Cell (tab)
Click on Options
Uncheck "Same as whole table"
Set Left and Right to 0

To change a table style - in the Modify Style Dialog, Select Table
Properties from the Format button and proceed as above.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Al G." wrote in message
om...
MS Word's definition of "column width" as it applies to tablets is in
fact a table slightly wider than the column width. This allows text in
tables to match the text column outside.

For example, if I have a column width of 6.5-in, Word creates a tablet
that is essentially wider on each side by the margin from the border to
the first character. If you set the column with to 6.5-in, Word will not
align it properly with the column width -- still offset on left side.

I cannot find a way to change or fix the table width using styles
(always seems disabled) nor fix the alignment so the border is properly
lined up with the column width. Is there some setting I have missed to
change this behavior?

I know there are times when you may want this behavior like borderless
tables but not with borders.

Al