Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Track Changes interacting badly with Save

Did you turn Track Changes off before accepting the changes?

"grammatim" wrote in message
After I spent a good two hours manually Accepting every Change that
showed as an exact duplicate, every single one of them has now turned
up as a Tracked Change once again.

On Jan 15, 12:41 am, grammatim wrote:

Regarding the second point -- no no, it has to go to the author (as a
pdf) with the changes showing!

On Jan 14, 6:33 pm, "Dawn Crosier, Word MVP"
wrote:

Check to see whether your document looks correct in Final mode rather
than in Final Showing Markup. Word in all versions has difficulty
showing the proper numbering displayed when viewing in Final Showing
Markup. This problem also can be seen in numbered lists as well as
footnotes.

If you are working on final touches, I would suggest Accepting all the
Changes and going forward. If necessary you can compare two documents to
ensure the results are what you would like to see.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"grammatim" wrote in message

:

Well, I've finally finished editing the article that's caused all this
trouble. It ended up 265 pages (1.5 spaced), with 11 tables tucked
into the last pages, nearly 400 footnotes, and well over 1000 cross
references (and numerous passages in Greek).

I useTrackChanges so the author can see what I've done (usually they
go ahead and accept everything), but in my cross references, only on
the very rare occasions when the author has indicated a wrong section
number for an item that's in a different part of the article.

However, now when I open the file to put in the fnishing touches, many
of the cross references appear as Tracked Changes, with identical
crossed-out and underlined entries! (Where the crossed-out item is the
cross-reference that replaced the typed reference provided by the
author, and the underlined item is a duplicate of that same cross
reference.)

Is there some sort of limit on the complexity possible in a single
document? Does Word2003 get confused as it approaches such a limit? (I
have 1 Mb+ of RAM, XP Pro, and effectively unlimited disk space on a
250 Gb hard drive.)