Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default How can I set Office to save documents in the current folder?

However, I do a lot of "back ups" that
are really copies -- I simply copy everything in Data Files with one
click, and I prefer that to the default.

My Documents is intended to provide the same function. You can make
subfolders of My Documents (and I do) and similarly back up everything in My
Documents. Although the actual location of My Documents is "deeply nested,"
it is hard-wired to be visible at a top level, which makes it easy to
access. It's a built-in shortcut on the Start menu, in Windows Explorer, and
in the Office Places Bar.

"Gordon" wrote in message
I do not like the default location MS uses for saving files (deeply
nested). Instead, I have a "Data Files" folder directly under C:\, and I
create folders there for my documents. I have set Word to open to the
correct folder, but I have found that when I save or "save as" a
document, it often ends up in the nested folder established by MS. How
can I change this so Word will save documents in whatever folder I am
currently using?

I am using Vista Home Premium and Office 2007.

The default location is C:/User/{your account name}/Documents.

How is that "deeply" nested?

Mine was being saved to this location:
C:\Users\Mary\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft. Oddly, the problem seems to have
been solved. I had already set the Default file location to my
preference, but it still saved to the folder I just listed. As a final
attempt, I changed the AutoRecover file location to an AutoSave folder I
created because the path listed had been the same as what I just described
as the default location. I have no idea why that would change the positon
where new files are being saved, but it did -- they are now being saved to
my preferred location.

I have a folder called C:\Data Files. I create data folders under that
name -- one for WordPerfect (with numerous sub-folders), one for Word, one
for Quattro Pro, one for my diabetes test results, etc. I do use a lot of
categories in WordPerfect and Quattro Pro, and it's possible that I will
eventually do the same with Word. However, I do a lot of "back ups" that
are really copies -- I simply copy everything in Data Files with one
click, and I prefer that to the default.

MaryL