Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Monte Milanuk Monte Milanuk is offline

Default Mail Merge

Peter,

Actually what I was trying to do (at the time) was use the mailmerge field
codes in table cells (in Word) to try and make the formatting work & look the
way I had in mind. The problem was... as the source size changes, the table
size in Word has to change to match - which results in some back-n-forth
twiddling that I wanted to avoid.

FWIW I'm not going to be the end-user of this particular setup - I'm simply
the one with (barely) enough knowledge and curiosity to make it happen.

At any rate, I think I found what I wanted... using tab stops to control the
field layout on the main document pages, and sticking column names in the
header (also using tab stops) so they repeat every page in the right place.
I'm having one minor issue w/ the data import, which I have a sinking feeling
I know the answer to - but its something that requires re-programming the end
user who inputs the data, which is not trivial