Michael

Hi Cindy,

This is a problem that developed several months after I started using this
method to insert chapters into other documents - however, since the problem
appeared, it is happening on all my documents - I tried creating new
documents, importing different chapters into new or old documents - the
bookmarked cross-references are not working on any of the documents

It is possible that it is related to my version of Word (2002, SP3), or
possibly related in a patch or upgrade that I installed (although I don't
specifically remember installing a patch recently)

If you want, I could send you (off list) an example of the documents with
the problem.

Any other ideas suggestions?

Michael

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Michael,

I had tried this before, but tried it again - when I add the \! switch,
the
Parent document lists the page number that appears in the child document
(Page 30), not the page that the bookmark appears on in the Parent
document.
(I think that this is how the \! switch is supposed to work)

If I remove the \! switch and update fields, the page references all
point
to the page that the INCLUDETEXT starts on (which is different from
before,
before it was pointing to the last page of the INCLUDETEXT).

If I update fields again, it points to the last page of the includetext.

In either case, it's pointing to the wrong page

Right. OK, I just tried a quick test on my installation (Word 2003) and
I'm
not seeing the problem. So I'm guessing this may be an issue in this set
of
documents.

If you:

create a new document with a few pages (type this then, press Enter:
rand(30,6)

Then insert a heading at the top, and a cross-reference to that heading
with
the page number at the bottom. Now save and close.

Now create another multi-page document and insert/file with link for the
first
file you created...

..does the field behave correctly?

If it does, then we can be reasonably sure we're dealing with some kind of
structural damage in one or the other document.

In this case, first try inserting a link to a "chapter" document into the
second test document. Does it behave correctly in this document?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org