Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Bob,

Yes, this does sound very much like Asian language stuff. You looked in the
Office Language Tools to make sure all languages except the one you're
currently using are deactivated? I just took a quick look for the first time in
ages in mine, and saw "Albanian" was activated. I sure never did that...

What is weird is that the margin marks only appeared a month or so ago after
many months of using Word. I wonder if it's possible that opening a document
that included Asian language text could have triggered the Asian language
features. I shared the Microsoft tech doc on margin marks with the head of
our tech services department who personally looked through the set-up on my
machine and came up blank as well. I will probably try a complete
uninstall/reinstall but the discussions I have read suggest that this does
not solve the problem.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org