Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default Page Numbering

I have just thought about the change in appearance when you go to View,
H&Fs. You have probably got the HideWhiteSpace option toggle on. If you move
the mouse pointer so that it is midway between two pages, the pointer will
change to 2 opposing arrow. Double-click now and you will toggle the H&Fs
on/off. Normally you should leave them on.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

wrote in message
On Aug 3, 11:38 am, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
How many pages are there? If there are 10 pages, then Word is displaying
the
correct result. If you want it to show only 8 pages, then edit the {PAGES}
field to { {PAGES } -2 }. Or if that is too difficult, delete the {PAGES}
field and enter 8 - but that won't dynamically update if you add/reduces
pages later.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

wrote in message

On Aug 3, 2:43 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Unlink the header/footer in section 2 from that in section 1, then
delete
the page numbers in section 1.

wrote in message

Hello All. I can't seem to get out of this, have followed
instructions in various posts - but stuck. I'm going off my b****y
head!

10 pages. I want no numbers on the first 2, then the rest numbered 1
to 8, in the format Page X of Y. I've split the doc into 2 sections
ok, and 1-8 are appearing on the last 8 pages but pages one and two
are numbered 1 and 2. How can I get rid of those two page numbers?

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Hello Suzanne

Thanks for that - I've done it and I'm almost there, but... I've now
got no numbers on the first two pages but the next 8, which I want to
show 1 of 8, 2 of 8 ... up to 8 of 8 are starting 2 of 10, 3 of 10 ...
up to 9 of 10 !!!- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Terry.

I always have problems with numbering, headers, footers, etc. For
example, when I go to View Header & Footer, that seems to change the
layout of the whole document - shifting things up or down, and then I
sometimes have to shift the the Footer up because, on printing, only
part or none of the page number shows on the print. Any general
tips? Would it make sense to set up sections, page numbering,
headers, footers, etc before starting to compile a document?